What alternatives are there to Microsoft products? Are they as good ? or do they lack features !
First we have been a user of Microsoft Office since the early days, and it has definately increased in its value to us and many of my clients. The ability to have smart scripts, macros to format all kind of pages is really second to none. You will be hard pressed to find another Office product, however, in our
There are many products that can do roughly the same as Microsoft Office.
Products such as OpenOffice, LibreOffice to name a few. These are the top competitors to Microsoft flagship Office 365 product now. Many people do find that it is difficult to change Office products. We have been using LibreOffice now for almost 2 years and find it a competitive tool. It does lack a few features that Microsoft has in Office 365, but if you dont use those features then try out LibreOffice and even OpenOffice are worth trying out.
Usually these products save in their own native format, and this is the issue that most people have. They have to add a step to convert the document to a doc or xls format. There is also an export as a PDF file, which we find very useful. Some people will enjoy these products, but be aware that there is a learning curve and you will need to look at all the features to see if they will suffice in your environment.
Operating Systems. Is it worth the change to Linux or MAC ?
When we get into the subject of Operating Systems, the author chooses to use Windows 10 since there are many programs that dont run on the other operating system solutions and there are difficult migrations that are required to be installed to run well.
Some of these adapter programs or shell environments, do not allow all of the features in a 64 bit environment, to function as well as Windows 10, so this is why we stick with Windows 10 Pro.
However, if you want to look into Linux, it can be a great exercise, but be warned, it is not for the faint of heart. You will need to first download the version of linux that is compatible with your hardware, and this gets easier all the time as Linux is able to make improvements for compatibility for hardware.
Different Browsers to choose from.
First and foremost there is Google™ Chrome, the standard for people that utilize the free service of Google and Gmail.
Second there is Microsoft’s™ Edge Browser that is now based on the Chromium browser, and there are a few limitations as of todays date to the add ons or plugins due to the security concerns by Microsoft. This is understandable in todays world of hackers going bizerk. This browser is giving Google Chromes browser a run for their money.
Next we have Mozillas Firefox. This is our browser for several reasons that we will go in depth later.
We now have some lesser known browsers such as:
Also consider other browsers as are featured in this article.
CCleaner Browser – This browser is a great alternative and We use it as an additional research too. It has automatic cleaning as well as some good security features. It is available here.
Apple Products are safe from attack ? yes or no
As much as we would like to assume that our friends at Apple are feverishly working to prevent attacks on the OS, more and more cleverly crafted attacks are being designed for the business world which will result in the eventual addition to the MAC world as being able to be compromised. What can we do about it ?
- Keep your MAC products updated and check it regularly.
- Make sure the browser that you use is updated automatically and monitor it to ensure no threats penetrate the browser.
- TURN ON your firewall and make sure that you check all allowed startup programs to make sure you havent been compromised.
- Run as a normal user. Do not use your administrator account as your primary account. This can cause you to have security issues that can be compromised by the sophisticated hacker.
- Use a good Browser Cache cleaner like CCleaner for the MAC. It will keep your temporay files to a minimun and even free up extra space that you thought you had lost.
- Use another browser for the MAC. Read these reviews and decide which one you feel most comfortable with.
- Retire old MAC laptops and desktops that lack the security updates. One compromised system can cause an entire network to collapse.
- Begin to look for antivirus programs for your MAC. I know that most people think that everything is protected, and we believe generally that it is, but that is where the hackers are working to convince you that MAC is not safe.
- Educate yourself. MAC users tend to be a trusting group of people and for that reason alone, MAC is vulnerable.
- Begin to be more skeptical about browsing with your MAC. We dont want to be correct in our warning to MAC users and their security issues.
Which Search engine is right for you ?
We are going to vary from mainstream thinking about what a search engine can do. And for our top choice we have is www.wolframalpha.com . This engine provides the perpetual student ,in all of us, a way to get our answers to: Mathematics, Science and Technology as well as Society and Culture. A search engine that is absolutely unexpected but full of surprises. There is no way to say what this search engine can do, and if you are a teacher or student, you may want to consider upgrading to its pro version.
Our second favorite is www.ecosia.com This browser uses the power of the internet to plant trees in many countries that are suffering from deforestation. And I have to say that this company is truly helping the planet. Please support their efforts and use them as much as you can. You can compare their search results from Google or Bing and see which one gives you what you are asking for.
Some lesser known engines that you can experiment with are disconnectsearch, lukol, gigablast, oscobo, metager and also qwant.
To end with DuckDuck go seems fitting since this is where we began years ago and now it has opened up the world to all of us at Total Protective Security.
Each one of these search engines deserves high praises and each one is different in what they provide.